It’s 2020. Consumers have control over the companies they choose to work with more now than ever. With technology at the palm of their hands, they can do a simple Google search in a matter of seconds and find what they are looking for right then and there.
With the countless options out there, companies are finding it harder than ever to stand out from their competitors. What happens to a business that sells the same product or service as their competition? How do they stand out? How do their customers find them first?
If you’re in the construction industry, you know what we’re talking about. It’s a shark tank out there.
Get ahead of the game and take your construction business to the next level. Consider one or all of the five tips that follow.
- Invest in Construction Estimating Software
What is construction estimating software?
This software helps contractors get an estimated cost for a specific construction project. The estimates are created by calculating labor costs, material costs, subcontractor costs, and equipment costs to find and submit an appropriate bid price for a project.
What are the advantages of a construction cost estimator software for your business?
- Create “what ifs scenarios” – With this feature, you can present your customers with different options for the same project. That way, they don’t have to look at “different options” with your competitors; you can give them all the different options yourself.
- Create Takeoffs – These will help you create data-driven price estimates within minutes.
- Access historical data – With stored data, you’ll increase productivity by making more accurate estimates. You can always go back to previous projects and use the data for new similar projects—no need to start from scratch.
- Take Advantage of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics
What is artificial intelligence (AI)?
AI refers to the use of a computer using machine learning to mimic human cognitive functions like problem-solving, pattern recognition, and learning.
How will Artificial Intelligence put your construction business ahead?
- Better design of buildings through generative design,
- It will help you prevent cost overruns,
- Can help you mitigate risks,
- Can help with project planning,
- Increase productivity, and
- Will help you address labor shortages.
- Incorporate Using Sustainable Materials
This practice is commonly referred to as Green Construction.
But, what exactly is green construction?
Green Construction means using resource-efficient and environmentally-responsible processes in construction. Its goal is to ensure the lifetime sustainability of a given building. This sustainable context implies building operations, site design, maintenance, repair, and demolition with the least harm to the environment.
People are a lot more environmentally aware than ever before. According to a report by the World Green Building Council by 2021, almost 47 percent of global projects will be green.
What types of green technology can you use in construction?
- Solar power
- Biodegradable materials
- Green insulation
- Smart appliances
- Cool roofs
- Sustainable resource sourcing
- Water efficiency technologies
- Self-powered buildings
- Use Augmented Reality
What is augmented reality (AR)?
AR can be easily confused with virtual reality. While virtual reality replaces the real world with a simulated one, augmented reality takes the real world and adds to it.
Construction companies can use augmented reality in architectural constructions, for example, placing a 3D model of a proposed design onto an existing space.
How can your construction business benefit from augmented reality?
- You can preview designs alongside your clients and make changes before construction.
- It can help you troubleshoot errors.
- Users can automatically make measurements, saving time, and increasing productivity.
- Field workers can share updates and have remote team members collaborate in real-time.
- It can help you prevent reworking.
- Start Incorporating Prefabricated Buildings
What are prefabricated buildings?
Prefabricated construction or Prefab is a construction process where modules of a building or specific construction are assembled at a remote location and then transported to the building site.
How is incorporating prefabricated construction beneficial to my business?
- Financial savings – Prefabrication manufacturers often receive bulk discounts.
- Flexibility – Its neutral aesthetics can blend with almost any building or design.
- Consistent quality – Since it follows specified standards, the sub-assemblies of the structure are built-in uniform quality.
- Shorter construction time.
- Increased safety – Sub-assemblies are created in a factory-controlled environment preventing accidents to the workers or environmental damage to the materials.
Don’t be the shark bait. Be the shark!
Being in such a competitive industry, you must always stay up to date with current trends and new methods.
Incorporating new technology that’s rarely used in the construction business will give you a competitive advantage that will keep you from being eaten alive.